Green tea and raspberry Tiramisu
- For 10-12 servings:
- 24 sponge finger biscuits
- 6 sachets of plain green tea or lemon green tea or 2 tbsp Matcha green tea
- 300g / 10 ½ oz / 1 cup crystallised sugar (for the syrup)
- 500g / 1lb / 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 750g / 1 ½ lbs / 3 cups mascarpone
- 9 medium free range eggs
- 120g / 4 oz / ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp liquid vanilla extract
- Optional: 4 sheets of gelatine (finishing/decoration)
Boil 300ml / 10 ½ fl oz of water in a pan, turn off the heat and let the sachets of tea infuse in the water for 5 minutes. (If using powdered Matcha tea, simply mix it in).
Remove the sachets, add the 300g / 10 ½ oz of crystallised sugar and boil until it forms a coating syrup.
Arrange all the sponge biscuits in the base of the dish and pour half the syrup over the top.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Whisk the yolks well with the caster sugar and vanilla extract, and add the mascarpone.
Beat the egg whites into a stiff peaks and gently fold into the mascarpone mix using a spatula. Cover the biscuits with half of the mixture.
Arrange the raspberries (keep a few back for decoration) and cover with the rest of the mixture.
Place in the refrigerator and leave to set for 3 hours.
Optional: Heat the remaining green tea syrup and mix with gelatine that has been previously softened in cold water.
Coat the top of the tiramisu and leave in the refrigerator for a further hour.
When ready to serve, decorate with a few raspberries.